Monday, September 21, 2009

White Privilege

Statement 3. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.

- I believe that this statement is true, but for both African Americans and whites. Most people, regardless of race are able to live in the neighborhoods that they want to without having someone discriminate against them. We used to have problems with African Americans and whites living with each other and being able to stay calm, as time progresses this seems to get better.

Statement 18. I can be sure that if I ask to talk to "the person in charge" I will be facing a person of my race.

- I would have to disagree with this statement if the way she is stating it is that only whites will usually be in a place of management. Now a days if you look around their are people of all different races in positions of power. For instance you just have to look at the president, things and times are changing and I just have to disagree with this.

Statement 19. If a traffic cop pulls me over, or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven't been singled out because of my race.

- I agree that whites do have this privilege even if it isn't intentional. Some police officers see a person of a specific race and think that they could have stolen the nice car that they were in. As well as if they did get pulled over for something minor there always seems to be another suspicion of something else wrong going on.

A lot of the things that McIntosh states I would have to agree with. These problems have been around for awhile and will continue to stay the same unless we as a community and society starts to see things differently. I like when McIntosh talks about how she never realized how real all of these privileges actually were before she wrote them all down. I think this couldn't be more true, a lot of times people don't see what is happening in front of them because they are so used to something.
If everyone took the time to stop and think about the privileges that are still unfair and start the change of the world with themselves then we would be able to get somewhere. Before you can talk to other people about what needs to be changed you have to believe in what you are "fighting" for. I think we can relate this back to Johnson and the way that he looks at the world and what he believes we need to do to change it.



2 comments:

  1. I can see this made you think. But I am also curious about what you say about #3 -- I really don't think that what you say is true. What makes you think that Black folks can live in any neighborhood they choose to without facing discrimination? I bet that there are many Black people who would tell you otherwise -- even in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not that I don't think they will still be discriminated against, it is that I think the problem of it has gone down. I believe there are a lot more neighborhoods now in 2009 that they can live in without having other people worry or make it hard for them. This problem has gotten better, but not fully gone away.

    ReplyDelete